Are you pregnant? Having lower back pain? Wishing this baby will just hurry up and get here so you can stop being in pain? Don’t wish this special time away. Physical therapists can help YOU!
The joy of a pregnancy is one of life’s greatest pleasures. For some women the later months of pregnancy can prove to become quite challenging. Some may experience lower back pain. As many as 4 in 5 expectant mothers experience pregnancy back pain.
Lower back pain can be an inconvenient interruption in day-to-day activities for a pregnant woman. It can interfere with their quality of life as well as affect the enjoyment of carrying a child.
Causes of Low Back Pain during Pregnancy:
- Poor posture. Many patients who suffer from low back pain will generally find relief with postural correction exercises.
- Ligaments are generally looser during pregnancy. This can contribute to instability and an increase in stress on the spine and the surrounding muscles. In addition, the increase and redistribution of weight adds to the stress on the low back.
Low Back Pain Solutions:
Fortunately, there are some simple ways to both ease and prevent back pain during pregnancy:
- When standing, work abdominal muscles to unload the back by pulling your belly button toward your spine. Avoid wearing high-heeled shoes.
- When sitting, ensure that your chair height allows your knees to align parallel with the hips or a bit lower.
- When lifting, lower your body by bending at the knees and lift by pushing up with the thighs.
- When sleeping, lie on your side with the knees and hips flexed and a pillow between your legs and under your abdomen.
Speak to a physical therapist or other healthcare provider before starting a new exercise regimen. If you have any question about muscle or joint pain during your pregnancy, please give us a call at 516-829-0030.