THE MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS OF ANTI-GRAVITY TREADMILL
Return to running and your daily activities sooner after an injury or surgery with the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill. The AlterG is a tool used early in the rehabilitative process that provides accurate, safe, and comfortable, partial weight-bearing support while promoting normal gait patterns.
How It Works
The AlterG uses advanced differential air pressure technology to generate a powerful lifting force, which provides precise unweighting in 1% increments from 20% body weight up to 100% (full weight bearing). The athlete wears custom neoprene shorts and zips into the airtight chamber, which then becomes pressurized and calibrates to their exact body weight to allow for total control over the amount of weight bearing. Patients can adjust it to the exact point in which exercise becomes pain free, enabling the physical therapist to accurately measure and track progress.
The AlterG is Beneficial for the Following Rehabilitation Indications:
- Performance training for athletes
Overspeed training, intervals, hill training up to 15% incline, single leg hops, plyometrics, agility drills, lateral training, backpedaling
- Senior health and wellness
Fall prevention, osteoporosis prevention, balance training, cardiovascular conditioning, strength and coordination
- Weight management
Conditioning for obese individuals, maintaining caloric expenditure, enabling exercise with co-morbidities, safe exercise introduction, ability to feel target body weight and gain motivation from feeling it, decreased stress-related injuries
- Neurological Patients
Helps restore balance and a safe return to activity for people with neurological conditions such as: Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, post-stroke, traumatic brain injury, and incomplete spinal cord injury; amputees learning to walk again or adjusting to a new prosthesis
- Aging athletes (Baby Boomers!) trying to stay in shape
Enables running for those who can’t run because of old injuries or arthritis, gives the chance to get extra workouts without the impact on joints, makes running more fun because of the lower impact and the secure feeling of knowing you can’t fall off the treadmill
The Alternative to Aquatic Therapy
- Patients do not go through the hassle of getting in the water. Additionally, the AlterG treadmill allows physical therapists to specify exactly at what percentage of patients’ body weight they will exercise.
- The treadmill adjusts the percentage of body weight in increments of 1 percent, which allows patients to gradually work their way up to full body weight (100 percent). These specifications care not possible with aquatic therapy.
- The AlterG also has clear visual areas in the air chamber, which allows the physical therapist to correct a patient’s gait. In aquatic therapy on the other hand, patients are submerged in water, which makes it extremely difficult for their gait to be monitored and corrected.
- In addition, exercising in the water creates buoyancy, which created an unrealistic walking pattern. The force of the water changes the actual mechanism and movement of walking or running, and it doesn’t allow the patient to perform a normal lower extremity “swing to stride.”
- In fact, the AlterG is the only “unweighting” device that allows a patient to exercise at a reduced body weight while maintaining normal running or walking mechanics with full range of motion. The AlterG, along with a personalized physical therapy treatment plan, can make a patient’s journey through rehab very smooth, quick and efficient.
If you would like to try our AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill to see if it will benefit you, call us at 516-829-0030 for a free trial.